POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : nebula (72k jpeg) : Re: nebula (72k jpeg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 22:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nebula (72k jpeg)
From: stbenge
Date: 18 Jun 2008 19:16:33
Message: <48599751$1@news.povray.org>
alphaQuad wrote:
> go Sam go, did this one while thinking of you.
>
> cheated actually with the Hubble Space Telescope
>
> 2008 June 17: Eta Carinae and the Homunculus Nebula
> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080617.html

AQ,

Nebulae are one of the most visually striking celestial bodies out
there. Just imagine living on a planet close to one! Of course, you'd
probably be bombarded with intense radiation. Extrasolar organisms (if
they exist) living under those conditions probably have a high tolerance
to excessive radiation, though.

Considering the amount of light attenuation in a nebula, I'd have to say
that they are even less dense than our own atmosphere on Earth. From a
distance they look thick enough to possibly support life without a
planet. I sometimes wonder if there are creatures somewhere who can
thrive under such low density, radioactive gas. It would be interesting
to find out, but our methods for long-distance information gathering is
still quite... undeveloped :(

Sam

P.S. Did you manipulate that image in any way?